Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hold your breath. No, really.


The last two weeks have been pretty good. I made it to three auditions last week and felt great about all of them. I also chopped my hair off. I wanted a change and I wanted to use a different headshot. My upstairs neighbor, Mario, is a hair stylist out of L.A., so he was able to cut my hair in his apartment for a great price! I love it!

Yesterday I went to an ECC for Billy Elliot on Bway. They did not want to hear any songs from musicals and wanted to hear something pop/rock. I sang "Walk on By". They were grooving as I sang, and commented after at what a great song choice I had made. So I felt good about that.

Today I woke up at 6:15 AM to head over to Tesley to get in line for Wicked on Bway EPA. I was pretty close to the front of the line. We had to wait outside until 8 AM before they let us in. Sign up was at 9. Telsey is such an awkward set up because there is one wall of chairs, where the line began, and then there are these 8-10 big, brown bench/ottoman things that line the rest of the space. Staying in line and figuring out how to coil can be difficult. Someone always starts shouting and takes control and tells everyone what to do. Surprisingly, I don't do that. I either keep my headphones in, or chat with the person next to me.

I got a 3:30 time slot, then headed home to go back to sleep because I didn't sleep well at all last night. After my nap, I woke up and got ready for my audition. I left my apartment in more than enough time to get over there. When I switched from the M to the E train, something was wrong. I was immediately hit in the face by a wall of vomit-scented hell. Everyone in the subway car was looking for the origin of this scent, but there was nothing to be seen. I tried to sit as far away from where I thought it was coming from, breathing into my coat. It was hysterical to watch people come onto the car at each stop and realize what they had just stepped into. To add to this fun-filled ride, the E train was moving at a terribly slow pace. I was so scared I would miss my time.

Finally got to Telsey. And they were calling my name! I turned in my stuff, put on my heels and was 3rd in line for my time slot. I walked in with a big smile, and was just chatting when all of a sudden I said: "Y'all... I just rode in a vomit-filled subway car and it was the worst experience of my life". They laughed so hard! As I was showing my music to the accompanist, I said, "I hope I don't smell". He laughed. The audition went really well and I bet they'll remember me!

Just a thought: there are certain rules that require tours and Broadway shows to have auditions after a certain amount of time. I'm not quite sure what the exact requirement is, but when I go to calls like Billy Elliot and Wicked, there is the chance they are actually just meeting their requirement and not necessarily REALLY looking for people. But it's good to be seen, to make yourself known.

It's so thrilling to know that I have so many people out there who love me and support me from afar. I really appreciate all of you who 'like' my Facebook statuses or send well wishes. You have no idea how much it means to me. I'm trying to remind myself that if I keep putting out good energy and showing up to auditions that something is bound to happen for me. I've worked too hard and dreamed too much for it not too.

This note was on the desk of the Equity audition monitor today...

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."- Thomas Edison

No comments:

Post a Comment