Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dashing Through New York

So after working Friday-Tuesday I had a busy day of auditions today. I woke up at 6:30 this morning to go sign up. When my audition buddy Allison and I got to Pearl Studios to sign up for North Shore Music Theatre, we were towards the end of the line in one room. Then it seemed as if the floodgates opened and another room had to be opened for people to line up in. I'm so glad we got there when we did. When you go to sign up for an EPA, the first 30 people or so get chairs around the perimeter of the room. After that, everyone is zig-zagged through the room. I think they crammed close to 70 of us the room this morning.

I signed up for a 3:50 appointment for North Shore. Then I went a block down to Ripley-Grier to see what the sign up was like for Barnstormers. The line was ridiculously long and they were only doing one musical, Charlie Brown. So I decided to skip that one and run to Actor's Equity to sign up for Cape Playhouse. I got there and there were still lots of times available and I was able to sign up for a 4:30 slot.

After signing up, I went home to take a nap. I didn't set my alarm because I thought it would just be a snooze. I shot out of bed at 2:15, freaking out!!! I thought my first appointment was for 3:30 (it was actually for 3:50). You have to be there 10 minutes before your scheduled time. I threw my dress on, layered myself for the weather, ran the straightener quickly through my hair and ran out the door. I got there just in time to turn in my headshot and resume for the 3:30 group. I was then informed that I was in the 3:50 group. Oops! At least I had time to catch my breath.

My group was finally called. I was more nervous about missing my 4:30 appointment time for the next audition then I was about the audition itself. The guy in front of me and I quickly realized we were both in the same predicament and decided he would wait for me and we would cab it together to Actor's Equity. My audition at North Shore went well. I ran out of the door and my new friend was waiting there, jumping up and down for me to hurry. They held the elevator and off we went.

We busted out of the front door of Pearl Studios and ran to the the street in search of a cab. We quickly found one and asked him to take us to 46th and 7th Ave. He agreed to 46th and 8th Ave. My new friend, Justin, paid for the cab and said "Hurry baby!! We've got five minutes! Time to sprint!" We then RAN down 46th Street from 8th Ave, dodging tourists and Scientologists (the Scientology building is on 46th) to Actor's Equity. I was praying, "Dianna... please don't fall or sprain your ankle. You can do this!" We made it JUST in time!

Turned in my headshot and resume. Then our names were called to get in line for our 4:30 time. Justin told me the alternate list for the company in the next room, St. Michael's Playhouse, was empty and that I should go sign up! So I did. I went in to the Cape Playhouse audition room. The Artistic Director is also an accompanist, so he was the only person in the room. He was so nice. After I sang, he asked about school and where I was from and how long I'd been up here. He noticed that I have a second degree in Public Relations and said that with my second degree and my accent, people would love me. I said thanks. hah!

As soon as that audition was over, I stepped on over to St. Michael's and was in the next group. That audition also went well. I sang the same song at all three auditions today. "Ireland" Reprise from Legally Blonde. The gentleman at St. Michael's said how much he loved the song and was very nice.

All in all it was a successful day! I felt great about all of the auditions and know that I did my absolute best. And I made a new friend: Justin! I owe him a cab ride.

1 comment:

  1. Fun stories!!! Just think, one night you'll be reminiscing about these things while sitting on Conan or Jimmy Kimmel's couch! Keep shining bright!

    ReplyDelete